Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Pardon the pun


Pardon the couple of puns, actually, in the hed and subhed of this Dark Sector review.

I mentioned yesterday about the silly way the sinking ship springs leaks in this game. That sort of thing pops up all over Dark Sector. Early in the game, you come across an empty room in which a projector is still showing some kind of propaganda film. It's all very atmospheric. When I walked my character in front of the projector, as you'd expect the film displayed on his back -- but his shadow didn't appear on the screen! So instead of being impressed by the mood of desolation, I was wondering why they'd think to have the image project on the character but forget to have him block the movie screen.

You'll also occasionally see things like old pieces of paper fluttering in the breeze. The aerodynamics are convincing, but the trash will pop into view out of nowhere. The little touches don't add to the ambience as they were probably intended to do. All they do is call attention to themselves.

This is a game that could divide some people, and there are definitely those online who think it's great. I wouldn't be so quick to ascribe that reaction solely to lofty expectations, as Chris does, although it's no doubt the case for some people. Instead, I think that what's good about Dark Sector is so good that it may be possible for some people to forgive its flaws. I felt the same way for the first few hours.

2 comments:

Matthew Gallant said...

"You'll also occasionally see things like old pieces of paper fluttering in the breeze. The aerodynamics are convincing, but the trash will pop into view out of nowhere."

They do that in CoD4 multiplayer on the city levels too, it's rather strange.

Anonymous said...

I noticed the same thing with the projector - I was looking for my shadow! And when the ship's ten minutes from sinking but the water level never gets higher, it really kills the tension.

But I will admit the achievements were pretty satisfying.