Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Strike hard! Stick to the rhythm!


Okay, so one clever closing line can't make up for an otherwise uninspired Patapon review. But it sure can't hurt!

Patapon is part of a proud tradition of games whose intentions I very much like, and whose gameplay I do not. It's always a strange feeling to applaud developers for what they tried to do, but I do think it's important for them to take risks and stretch their creative muscles. Sometimes it may not pay off right away, but the experience of trying something like this may pay off later. (This is how I felt about Puzzle Quest, and as a result I have high hopes for its sequel, Galactrix.)

For a more positive and in-depth look at Patapon, I recommend Daniel Purvis's review.

1 comment:

Daniel Purvis said...

Haha - by your review I'm going to assume you didn't manage to invest the 25-odd hours in Patapon as I did! I do agree with you though, if you're unable to connect with the music, the sound effects and the simple rhythm, then you're boned. Like LocoRoco, it'll click with you or it won't. I know it didn't click with my girlfriend, she hated it. Would shout at me if she could hear the Pata Pata Pata Pon through my headphones, which is why I had to give it up in the end haha.

Thanks for the shout out!