Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Guitar Hero downloadable content

No review this week, so I'm still high on the Guitar Hero horse. Major Nelson reports that downloadable content is available now. At first glance, it seems like a rip. There are three separate packs of three songs, which cost 500 MS points each. That's 1500 points for nine songs, or nearly $20. No thanks. I'd really like "Ace of Spades," "Bark at the Moon," and "Frankenstein," but their selections also include some of my least favorite tracks from the original. This is disappointing. Fortunately, I've got plenty of enjoyment ahead as I attempt to complete the game on hard mode. Current status: failure.

Update: I've been thinking about this for a bit, and I think there were two other things they could have done to justify the price. One would be to release brand-new songs. That would be worth a premium. The other would be to let you choose any three songs from the first Guitar Hero, sort of a custom "best of" pack. Still might be a bit pricy, but that would sting less.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Holy shit. They're releasing GH1 songs at ~$6 per pack of 3? I really don't know what to say. Kudos to you and your restraint, though.

avixe said...

The pricing ain't great, but if they've added the ability to play the songs co-op in multiplayer that certainly presents a compelling case.

If that is indeed true, the first pack at least might be worth it.