Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Guitar Hero 2

It's been confirmed that Guitar Hero II for the Xbox 360 will include Iron Maiden's "The Trooper," one of the ten best songs they could possibly have chosen. Right there, I'm glad that I've been dragging my heels on acquiring the PS2 version. On the other hand, the 360's Gibson Explorer controller is only about 3/5 as cool as the PS2's SG. But here's why I'm really excited about Guitar Hero II for the 360:

Expansion packs.

I've heard people bitching about these, as though they are opposed to microtransactions in principle. And I should probably point out that we don't know for sure whether Harmonix et al. are actually planning to introduce downloadable content at all, much less whether they intend to charge. But it's not a far-fetched proposition. If Bethesda can release whole new missions for Oblivion, it couldn't be hard for Harmonix to put together five new songs. I certainly wouldn't have any problem throwing down five bucks, or the MS points equivalent, to download a whole new group of songs every couple of months. Would you?

No comments: